Quayside Offices, Dock Rd, Ardrossan, KA22 8DA

Moving In

Tenant Services
Moving In

Contact electricity or gas suppliers (or both) to let them know when you will be moving in.

We are happy for you to have a power card or quantum meter installed. You can find out who supplies your gas and electricity by clicking the button below.

Contact your phone company if you want to arrange for a phone service to be set up or reconnected.

Let your local council know that you are moving. You will need to fill in a form for council tax.

If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, let the local council know when you are going to move in. They must know when you stop being legally responsible for rent on your current home. This might not be the same date that you move out. You might be able to get Housing Benefit paid on two homes during your notice period. Speak to your housing officer if you receive benefit or think you might be entitled to it.

Make a list of everybody who will need to have your new address. For example, bank, building society, schools, work, friends and family. You can arrange to have your mail redirected by Royal Mail, though they charge for this service. You can get details from your local post office.

  • Take meter readings and let the electricity or gas suppliers know that you have moved in and what the reading was. Citrus Energy can help with this;
  • Find out what day the bins are emptied and where you have to leave them; and
  • Take time to work out how you would get out of the house in a fire or other emergency

When you sign up for your new tenancy, your area team will make an appointment to carry out technical demonstrations. This will involve:

  • Explaining how your heating and hot-water system works
  • Making sure you are aware of how to check your smoke alarms
  • Showing you where your water stopcock is and how to use it
  • Demonstrating any other items in your home such as showers, ventilation systems and so on.

If you get mail for the last people who lived in your home, please do not send it to us. Return it in the post (and mark it ‘Gone away’).


We strongly urge you to get contents insurance. It will cover you in case there is a fire, theft or flood (as well as other risks). Details of the project run by the Scottish Federation of Housing Associations and an application form is available from your local office Welcome Pack.


We aim to help you get the most out of your tenancy, so we leave you a welcome pack. We also give you a number of important documents when you sign up for your tenancy. You should keep these in case you need them in the future.


After your tenancy starts, a member of our staff will visit you at home. They will find out if you have any problems that need to be sorted out. It is also an opportunity to make sure that you are not having any problems. Problems may be with rent, rent arrears, Housing Benefit or repairs or any disputes with neighbours. We can also explain in more detail the information we gave you when you signed your tenancy agreement. We will also ask you to fill in a short questionnaire. It will give us feedback on the service we gave when we gave you your new tenancy.


As well as the services we provide for all tenants, we can also refer tenants who need extra help to a wide group of other groups giving support and advice. If you are finding it difficult to cope with your household responsibilities, you can get help with claiming benefit, managing your bills, settling you into your new home or sorting out problems with your neighbours. If you want more information, you should contact any of our offices.

You may also like

Privacy Policy