PDSA (The People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals) is a charity that helps pets in need
Did you know PDSA Pet Hospitals treat cats, dogs, rabbits and other small pets described as ‘small furries’.
Is your pet unwell (urgent or non-urgent), healthy, or needing vaccinating / neutering / microchipping / medication?
- Their Pet Hospitals give free and low-cost veterinary treatments and medications for qualifying pet owners.
- Their Pet Care Scheme practices offer qualifying pet owners’ access to low-cost treatments.
Free Service – free treatments and medications
To qualify, you must live within the postcode catchment area of one of their Pet Hospitals, and receive at least one of the below benefits:
- Housing benefit
- Council tax support
- Universal credit with housing element
Their Free Service is only available for one pet per household. Any additional pets can be registered for their Low-Cost Service.
Low Cost Service – low cost treatments and medications
To qualify, you must live within the postcode catchment area of one of their Pet Hospitals and be receiving at least one of the below benefits:
- Child tax and working tax credits
- Universal credit without housing element
- Pension credit
- Income support
- Job seekers allowance
- ESA – (Income Based Only) Employment Support Allowance
- Non means tested benefits – Disability Living Allowance (DLA) / Personal Independence Payment (PIP) / Adult Disability Payment (ADP)
- State retired pensioners who are householders living in council tax bands A – D
Their low cost prices are typically 20% to 30% lower than private veterinary practices. This can vary, depending on the treatment.
There is no limit to the number of pets you can register for the Low Cost Service.
Pet Care Scheme
If you do not live near one of their Pet Hospitals, but you are receiving benefits, you may qualify for their Pet Care scheme.
The Pet Care scheme is run with partner veterinary practices, allowing you to pay a small monthly amount to get access to low-cost treatments for cats and dogs, along with other help to keep your pet healthy. You can check your location by visiting the website at Saving pets, Changing lives – PDSA
To qualify for Pet Care Scheme you must live within the postcode catchment area of a participating practice and be receiving at least one of the below benefits:
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Support
- Universal Credit with Housing Element